Healthy and clean Shrimp Tacos made with marinated, sautéed shrimp, a easy cabbage slaw, and topped with a delicious creamy cilantro shrimp taco sauce. Ready in 20 minutes!
These tacos are simply one more extra to my growing collection of killer-good Mexican recipes! Serve them with a aspect of refried beans and Mexican rice.
1 ½ lbs shrimp (uncooked, peeled, deveined, tails removed)
1 tablespoon oil (canola or olive oil)
Juice from 1 lime
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 clove garlic , minced
¼ teaspoon cayenne , optional, for heat
- For the Sauce:
3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 tablespoon white vinegar
1 clove garlic , minced
½ jalapeño pepper (remove ribs and seeds for mild heat)
¼ cup cilantro leaves , loosely packed
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- For Topping:
2 cups finely shredded cabbage , or use bagged broccoli slaw or coleslaw mix
10-12 small corn tortillas
Additional topping suggestions: avocados, pico de gallo, cotija cheese, chopped cilantro.
- For the Shrimp: Pat the shrimp dry with paper towels. Add to a ziplock bag with olive oil, lime juice and spices. Toss to coat. Rest for 10 minutes while preparing the shrimp taco sauce, or refrigerate for several hours until ready to use.
- Heat a drizzle of oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the shrimp to the hot pan and saute for 2-3 minutes on each side, until pink and cooked through.
- For the Shrimp Taco Sauce: Blend all the sauce ingredients together in a small blender or food processor until smooth and creamy. Add about 1/2 a cup of the sauce to the slaw and stir well to coat.
- Assemble: Fill tortillas with a few shrimp and a spoonful of slaw. Top with fresh avocado, extra sauce (if desired) and any additional toppings.
- Make ahead Instructions: The shrimp taco sauce can be made up to 3 days ahead of time, stored in the refrigerator. Shrimp taco marinade can also be made a few days ahead and stored in the refrigerator.
- Freezing Instructions: Freeze the sauce and uncooked shrimp (with marinade), separately, in a freezer safe container for 2-3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. (Do not thaw the frozen shrimp and then refreeze).
Calories: 492kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 43g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 431mg | Sodium: 1665mg | Potassium: 329mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 391IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 345mg | Iron: 5mg