Skillet Chicken and Mushroom Wine Sauce – clean, fashionable and scrumptious!
Ingredients needed to make Skillet Chicken with Mushroom Wine Sauce:
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts – for this recipe you’ll need 3 large breasts, or 6 chicken cutlets. You can also use chicken tenders, or boneless skinless chicken thighs
- all-purpose flour – for dredging the chicken
- garlic powder
- mushrooms – any small variety of mushrooms will do
- unsalted butter
- olive oil
- chicken broth – we prefer low-sodium to ensure the recipe is not too salty
- dry white wine
- heavy cream
- fresh thyme
- Dijon mustard
- cornstarch – for thickening the gravy
You probably have most everything needed on hand already. I hope you’ll give this recipe a try!
If you’re lucky enjoy to have leftovers, reheat gently in the microwave for another delicious meal.
Skillet Chicken and Mushroom Wine Sauce
Fork tender, easy to make, flavorful and delicious!
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut in half horizontally into cutlets
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
½ teaspoon garlic powder
12 ounces mushrooms, cleaned and thick sliced
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
1 tablespoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 large shallots, sliced thin
1 ½ cups chicken broth, low sodium
½ cup dry white wine
½ cup heavy cream
2 large springs of fresh thyme
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons cornstarch dissolved in 2 tablespoons water or broth
- Pat the chicken breasts dry with paper towels. Cut each breast in half horizontally into 2 thinner cutlets. Alternately, place the chicken breasts between two sheets of plastic wrap and pound to an even thickeness.
- In a shallow bowl combine the flour, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Set aside.
- Add 2 tablespoons butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil to a large skillet. Heat over medium until the butter is melted. Dredge 3 chicken cutlets in the flour mixture, coating both sides, shaking off the excess flour. Add the coated chicken to the skillet and cook until well browned, about 5 minutes. Turn and cook another 3-5 minutes. Remove the cooked chicken to a plate and cover to keep warm. Repeat until all chicken is browned.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons butter to the pan and heat until melted. Add the sliced mushrooms and cook, undistrubed, until the mushrooms are very dark on one side. Stir and turn the mushrooms and continue cooking until the moisture is released and then evaporated, and the mushrooms are all well browned.
- Add the sliced shallots to the pan and cook until softened and starting to brown. Add the minced garlic and sauté for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Pour the wine into the pan and scrape the bottom to deglaze. Add the thyme sprigs, chicken broth, mustard and cream. Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the dissolved cornstarch. Bring the sauce back to a light simmer and add the chicken. Heat and simmer for 5 minutes or until the sauce is thickened and the chicken warmed through. Remove the thyme sprigs, and season the dish with salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with parsley or additional thyme and serve with rice, potatoes or noodles.
- To make chicken breasts easier to cut into cutlets, put them in the freezer in a single layer for about 15 minutes.
- Any dry white wine will do for this sauce. For this recipe I typically use a Chardonnay. If you don’t drink wine, substitute white grape juice or additional chicken broth in this recipe.
- If you prefer more sauce / gravy, double the ingredients starting with 2 extra tablespoons of butter in Step 4. Then double the amount of mushrooms, shallots, garlic, wine, thyme, chicken broth, mustard and cream. Enjoy!
- Make sure the mushrooms are very dark on one side before turning for the best flavor and color. Once turned, cook until the moisture is released and then completely evaporated before adding the shallots.
Calories: 309kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 83mg | Sodium: 301mg | Potassium: 508mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 558IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 29mg | Iron: 1mg